Canadian Dental Care Plan – Mississauga, ON

Coverage for Canadians Wanting to Improve Their Smiles

a patient speaking with her dentist about a dental plan

Are you a Canadian resident who is not currently covered by dental insurance? While a coverage plan is an incredibly useful tool for affording oral healthcare services, our team understands that not every patient is insured. Even so, you might have a chance to qualify for the Canadian Dental Care Plan (CDCP)—a federal government program that helps certain people pay some of the cost of dental treatments. Keep reading to learn more about the financial benefits you can enjoy from this plan or give our team a call today to schedule a consultation!

What is Covered by the CDCP Plan?

a dentist and patient giving a thumbs-up

With the Canadian Dental Care Plan, patients will typically be able to expect coverage for various services that specifically are meant to preserve their teeth and gum health as well as prevent and/or address oral health problems and diseases. This includes preventive dentistry, such as cleanings and checkups, dental sealants, fluoride, and X-rays, but it can also involve other treatments like:

  • Restorative services (fillings, etc.)
  • Periodontal services (scaling and root planing, etc.)
  • Endodontic services (root canal treatment, etc.)
  • Prosthodontic services (partial and full dentures)
  • Oral surgery (tooth extractions, etc.)

You might have a co-payment—the amount that you will have to pay directly to your oral health provider—that will alter depending on your adjusted family net income. For instance, if your adjusted family net income is lower than $70,000, the CDCP will typically cover 100% of the eligible services, whereas if it’s $80,000 or more, the CDCP will only pay 40% of established fees while you will be responsible for the remaining 60%. 

How Do I Know If I Qualify?

a man speaking with front desk member about treatment cost

You won’t be qualified for the CDCP simply by being a Canadian resident. To be eligible for this dental coverage plan, you’ll have to:

  • Not have access to dental insurance
  • Have filed your tax return for the year prior
  • Have an adjusted family net income of $90,000 or less
  • Be a Canadian resident for tax purposes

If you already have dental coverage through another kind of government social program, you might still be eligible for the CDCP. You’ll just have to coordinate the details between each plan so that there aren’t gaps or duplications in your coverage.

When Can I Get My Benefits?

a patient undergoing a dental checkup and cleaning

Once you’ve signed up for the CDCP and are determined to be qualified, you’ll be sent a welcome package by Sun Life with a membership card, which should include the co-payment information as well as the start date for your coverage. This date will vary from person to person and will depend on when your application is received and when you’ve been enrolled in the program.